Friday, February 14, 2014

Le Nord

I've been doing yoga in the frozen north of France these past two weeks.  Gee it's cold.  this is meant to be summer time, but we haven't seen the sun once.  For those who live there it's funny.  Each time they see me rugged up in my finest down coat they just laugh and say "Le Nord" (the north).
I did manage to get a few nice practices in, thanks to the ability to shutter my room quite nicely from the freezing cold and wet.

During this period I've been lucky enough to visit much of this part of France and a little Belgium.  We went to Roubaix, Calais, Dunkirk, and even went to a Patois Theatre.  Roubaix was amazing, as the caretaker called the council to get us permission to have a private tour of the venue, including the famous showers.  It was brilliant to see the place where my heroes raced and won their famous races.  Hell of the North they called it.  I could see that by the blood stains on the velodrome, and the dark sense of cold in the bathrooms.  Cycling truly is a hard man's sport.

One last thing, I finally saw England.  I still haven't been there, but I saw it from across the channel when we had a picnic on the cliffs on the night of the equinox.  As an Englishman, it feels good to have finally seen England.  Maybe someday I'll go there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment