Saturday, February 15, 2014

Ashtanga Yoga Berlin

Here in Berlin, I inscribed at a local studio Ashtanga Yoga Berlin.

It's a lovely place, a bit of a walk from where I'm staying, but the sessions I get to are during the day, so the place isn't busy at all which is nice.

I had three different teachers while I was there.  The first was a lady Nathalie from Brazil.  While being lovely, she was utterly lost with my body.  I think a lot of teachers have never had a body like mine, and so they don't know how to deal with it.  She in particular would try her best to adjust, but say things like "your body doesn't move when I push." Oh well.

The next teacher was Nir.  He was absolutely amazing.  He was a softly spoken little guy, and really worked closely with me to get me to move my body in ways I hadn't before.  He had little techniques such as getting me to push my plantar forward to his waiting palm after dorsal flexion to activate certain muscles in my legs and hips.  The guy was a real technician, and I learnt heaps.  Another thing he got me to do, was every second time I went up for a jump back, I should pull upward and backward as far as I can with straight legs.  This will slowly strengthen my core for eventual straight-leg transitions.  Well it's hard work, that's for sure!!

The other guy I had a couple of times was Grischa.  I though he said his name was Josh, but the website says Grischa.  He had a lot of experience, and was a master manipulator.  He wasn't as good as Nir, but got me easily into Mari-D on both sides, and that was really pleasing.  He had some pretty negative things to say about Saraswathi in Mysore though.  Maybe he had a bad experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment