Saturday, April 20, 2013

Teaching my first class

I taught a class!!  Led primary!!  WHAT???  I know, how strange.

This is seriously not something I thought I'd do for many years, if at all.  After all the work on my shoulder, i was ready to do a class with Coco.  I'd texted her to let her know that I would be coming on Friday night to her led class, but she wasn't there!  Neither was Karla.  They're both doing the Michael Gannon day tomorrow (Grrrr... I still have knee pain from that man!!!) and I suppose they were resting up.

Hugo said that Coco had let them know that there would be nobody there to teach, so we decided that we'd just do a private practice, and leave on our own.  After I led the class in the chant, I started my Surya Namaskaras.  Well, immediately it was obvious that there were beginners in class who had no idea what they were doing.  So I had to talk through the poses and the breaths, leading the class.

It was really fun.  I did a little bit of adjusting; nothing forceful, just some alignment stuff, reminding people of dristis, and gave a guy up the back a variation for Marichyasana D because he was crazy stiff.

Nobody understood Gharba Pindasana, so I had to give a demonstration.  Fortunately I nailed it, and Kukkutasana as well, so that was a cool demo.

According to the regular students, I was a bit fast in my counts.  I suppose that's normal for a beginner teacher.  I certainly wasn't  expecting to teach, and so hadn't prepared myself for it.  The other issue was that I had to teach the class in Spanish.  Now yes, I do speak Spanish, but in the stress of trying to teach my first ever class, remember the postures, maintain an even breath count, help and correct students, AND do a little adjusting, my Spanish just went out the window!  Ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment