Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I missed you Coco!

Getting to a new all-time high in yoga.

Well in my first class back with Coco, I reached a totally new level.  I met her walking to the studio, and asked how she'd been, how her trip was and all that.  She seemed a bit out of it, but she had a great time in Bolivia.  She might have had a little too much ayahuasca while on the trip, so I'm not surprised she seemed a bit all over the place.

I set up in the second row, next to Hugo.  This was mostly because the third row was all full.  Well the second row was too, but I got Hugo and the girl next to him to move aside for me.  I started stretching up, when I hear Coco calling from the back, asking me to move up to the front.  Oh dear, front and centre.  It's ok, I know the series, but it was the first class back with Coco, and I was a little concerned with how I'd do during her long counts.  Also, when she's right there, the pressure is on.  She can hear all my ujjai, all the time.  She can see each of my transitions.  She can see if i break dristi.  She can see if I get any of the sequence wrong, and there's nobody around to check on either.

The class started well, and I managed a few jump-throughs.  I think she was occassionally relying on me for direction.  I know the other students were.  We have a new lot in class these days.  They are mostly beginners, but they're very keen to learn, and I don't see them taking any breaks to rest.  there were perhaps 15 of us today.

Tiryam Mukha Eka Pada Paschimottanasana was less painful than usual.  I was still a barn door leaning to the side with my arm out, but less painful in the knee.  By the time we got to Marichyasana A on the right, I bound easily.  A on the left, I boud easily.  Then it was time for B.  Now my left hip is tight, and so getting my left leg into padmasana is always a bit rough, and doesn't let me get my right knee close enough to my body to get my arm around.  But today I pushed a bit, and the fingers touched.  Not only that, but I managed to get my middle fingers hooking each other, which is officiall a bind!  Once the right was done, the left was easy.  My trick is to stay for a couple of breaths before going for the bind.

Now with C, Karla had adjusted me into it on both sides in virtually every class, so I knew it was possible.  Again, I took a few breaths in the position, before going for the bind.  That made six binds in the Marichyasanas, a new record!  I'm happy to sit here, and try to consolidate on these gains.  Marichyasana D is still a little way off on my left side, and on my right side is a very long way off.  There are other, much more immediate gains to push for in other areas.  So hopefully I can get these binds more comfortable in A, B and C, so that one day they can become part of my home practice too.

With the beginner class, we skipped Setu Bandhasana, and went straight for Urdhva Dhanurasana.  I've been practicing these, and so managed to get up well.  Coco said I should remove the towel though.  She says I rely on it for traction, where I should instead use my hands and feet to just push up, and not outwards.  She was very impressed with my improvement, and commented to me straight away.

Finally, in finishing series, I bound in Pindasana for the first time.  I've had my fingers touch before, but this was a proper bind, and it felt good.  My left foot is not quite comfortable in my right hip, but I think that'll just take time.

One thing I miss about Karla's classes are the adjustments.  Karla used to adjust me all class long, and I loved it!  Coco didn't adjust me during this class, and I'm not going to hide the fact that I was a little disappointed.  Hopefully I'll get more adjustments in the next few classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment