Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Formentera

It's been a long time since I blogged, and I can't really remember where I was at my last entry, so I'll start with my trip to Formentera.  I bought the book "Guruji: A portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Through the Eyes of His Students.  It's a fantastic book, I'll do a little review once I've finished it.

After the failed trip to Formentera the weekend before, I was chatting to my friend in Mallorca, trying to organise to see her.  She had a friend coming over from Barcelona, and so it was the perfect time for me to visit.  So I went online and tried to organise ferries to the island.  For some reason, for non-residents of Spain, the ferries are extremely expensive.  It is more expensive to catch the ferry than to fly, and cheaper to fly around europe than to just hop over the spit to the next island.  So unfortunately I couldn't see my friend, but this gave me an opportunity to try to get to Formentera again.

The wind wasn't too strong, and I met some lovely Italians on the boat.  We chatted for a while, and when we got there, they wanted to all hire a car to check out the island.  I wanted some quiet time, so I decided instead to leave them, and go for a walk.  I ended up on a beautiful quiet beach, with only a few old naked German men sunbathing. Hahaha.  i found a spot on a log under a tree with nobody around and started to read the Guruji book.  Well on came epiphany after epiphany.  I really identified with a couple of the interviewees, especially David Swenson.  I could see what attracted them to the practice, and why I felt attracted in the same way.  From my spot I could see the island of Es Vedra right in front of me.  I spent the whole day there enjoying the place, and that way really got a lot out of the energy of the island and the book.

Walking back into town, I met a Czech family, and they bought me a coffee at a local coffee shop.  I caught the boat back with them, chatting the whole time with really interesting new people.  It was just a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment