Tuesday, June 4, 2013

BBQ and Becoming a Genuine Pirate

We had a great BBQ here, with a whole lot of people around.  For me it was effectively my first time to England, as almost all of my house-mate's friends are English, and aside from occasionally struggling with the accent, I found them to be a good bunch.  We had the biggest BBQ fire going in the history of mankind.  We had a couple of bags of coal but it was of poor quality, so my housemate asked me to get a few more.  As I was getting more, he also went out and bought a few more bags of coal.  For some reason it just seemed a good idea to use it all.  The resulting furnace meant that it was actually difficult to get anywhere near the BBQ, let alone cook meat on it.  The meat also had to be cooked a few feet above the coals, else it would be crispy within seconds.

Somehow during the BBQ, i swallowed one of my front teeth.  I just noticed a strange sensation on my tongue, and suddenly my tooth wasn't there anymore.  I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but the result is that I am now even more of I pirate than before.  I has come at a good moment.  This gives me three good practices to work on.  The first one is practicing non-attachment to the body.  Yes that was my tooth, but it is not an essential part of the self, and losing it is merely a change.  I should not mourn the loss of the tooth, but rather accept it's passing without emotion.  Acceptance of change is the second practice.  Change is inevitable, especially change in the body as we get older.  The last practice is ahimsa.  When I look into the mirror, and see the little stump that used to be my tooth, it's very easy to feel unhappy thoughts towards myself.  With all it's challenges, I love my body, and here I must love it through this change.  I need to love my new smile, and not think any way negatively towards it.

Practice is good.  I've bound in Marichyasana B on both sides for the first time in a while now.  It's nice to have that one back, I really like that bind with my heel massaging my innards.  One thing I've noticed though is that I often miss out on either Baddha Konasana or Purvottanasana.  I don't know why, but I always seem to miss one of them out.  They're not really my favourite poses, so that's probably why.

No comments:

Post a Comment